Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Inspector Otto

Inspector OttoMy original VW engine tin has a white "I.O." stamped on the left side. Colin told me it's known as the Inspector Otto stamp. I guess most buses no longer have it for one reason or another, so it's rare to find. I enjoy finding out about these little bits of information and history on my bus.

This photo also shows the new foam engine surround seal that was installed last Friday.

Monday, June 8, 2009

On the Road Again (IAC 2009 Visit)

On the Road AgainWilson is back on the road. Colin stopped by last Friday morning to help me get the bus running again. We replaced the rubber and steel fuel lines, and fuel pump. That project seemed to consume the day. The double relay gave us problems, but thankfully Colin was able to fix it.  I'll have to pick up a replacement before I go on any long trips. During the fuel line effort, we snuck in a brake adjustment, installed engine foam seal, and properly attached the muffler. After a couple disappointing moments, Colin had Wilson running again. We did a quick check and adjustment of the timing and dwell. A test drive around the neighborhood and we were done. By 11:30pm we were reheating the chicken Kate made for dinner.

 Here's a little more info on the day...

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=6467

Now I'm looking forward to Wilson's first camping trip of the year.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

POR-15 (No more rust)

POR-15 - Before and AfterI had a chance to clean up the rust I found under the original engine compartment seal. It's right in front of the oil (OEL) fill. The seal apparently trapped in moisture over the years. I sanded down the rust and surrounding paint until I hit clean steel. It wasn't too bad, but I wanted to make sure I got it all. I then treated the area with POR-15 Rust Prevention Starter Kit. The product isn't cheap, but the starter kit allows you to get a large sample of their products for under $20. It's enough to cover 12 square feet. This will provide a tough barrier so moisture cannot get to the steel, even if the paint chips.

After I finished treating it with POR-15, I touched up the areas using Sage Green  (L-63H) from a company called PaintScratch. They have a good reputation for matching colors. I've purchased from them before with excellent results, but this last batch was just a little too light. You can't tell in the pictures, but in direct sunlight it's noticeable. I didn't bother to test the color right away, so it was too late to return the paint by the time I realized it. I'll be sure to test it right away the next time.